RUST STAIN REMOVAL
Note: Using a wet/dry vac can be used for extraction instead of a towel.
- Upon discovering the rust stain, be sure to remove the source of the rust stain. If the rust stain came from the legs of a piece of furniture, consider moving the furniture to a new place, or placing a darker area rug underneath it to prevent future stains.
- Using a butter knife, scrape up any visible rust from the fibers. This scraping motion will initially help remove rust from carpet. Be careful not to rip the carpet fibers as you’re gently scraping.
- Pour dish soap onto a sponge. Blot the sponge directly onto the stain and let it soak for about 5 minutes.
- Using a white cloth (that you don’t mind disposing of or keeping as a rag) begin to press the rust stain, repeatedly blotting the affected area. The rust stain should gradually transfer directly onto the towel.
- If the rust stain still isn’t disappearing, mix 2 cups of warm water with 1 tablespoon of household ammonia.
- Pour the ammonia and water mixture directly onto the rust stain. Let this sit for about 5 minutes. Blot the stain with a clean portion of the white cloth.
- If the rust stain residue still remains, mix lemon juice, white vinegar and salt together and apply this mixture directly onto the rust stain. Let this sit for a few hours, and then blot with a damp towel. By carrying out the above mentioned steps in order, you won’t have to worry the next time you’re wondering how to get rust out of carpet.
How to Get Rust Out of Carpet – Method # 2
Here’s another approach the question of how to remove rust stain from carpet:
1. Take a generous amount of lemon juice and salt and apply directly to the rust stain.
2. Let this sit for a few minutes.
3. Pour hot water directly onto the affected area of the carpet. The rust stain should begin to disappear.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible.
*This website provides suggestions for home remedies for removing stains. JTEC LLC is not liable for any damage to your personal assets from these recommendations. Professional cleaning is always recommended.